ZomTec -
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Insanity Meter

4 posters

Go down

Insanity Meter Empty Insanity Meter

Post  Simas Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:38 pm

One thing that pestered me in most zombies games is that the characters never seem to be bothered by the zombies psichologically. Yes, you may be a little busy killing them, but they never seem to start screaming like little girls and point their gun to their mouthes and shoot when they see an entire horde of zombies coming for them. Well, since this is supposed to be an ultra-realistic zombie game, I came out with an idea for a "Insanity Meter". What if, while exploring houses for weapons/food/ammo the player had to be careful to not venture too much for they could see and atrocity commited by the zombie like a corpse wide open on the floor or infected babies mumbling on their beds. Whenever the player saw things like that, their insanity level would grow a little higher. When the player's level would be extremely high they would commit suicide or something worse... Something I thought about too, is that you could send one of the members of your team to check a room out before the other members enter. That way, if there would be something horrible in the room, only that member's Insanity would be affected. Each member could have different insanity maximums: the strong, soldier guy had presenced several atrocities at the war so, it would take more for him to reach insanity, while at the other hand, the nerdy engineering guy would take less for him to be insane. Also, when one of the other members reached insanity, it would have different consequences. The weird artist guy would try to kill all the team and then himself, thinking he was sparing them of a horrible fate. The nerdy guy would just be mumbling on a corner, doing nothing all day because he was too coward to kill himself. Of course there would be medicine to lower your Insanity Level but those wouldn't come very often...

Leave your opinion or ideas for improvements on the "Insanity Meter" on the comments!
Simas
Simas

Zombies Slain : 4993
Survivors Saved : 2

Back to top Go down

Insanity Meter Empty Re: Insanity Meter

Post  Grathius Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:00 pm

Which is where moral comes in!

Characters who raise moral tend to be weaker... but raise moral! They can travel with you, and lighten up the mood, or stay at base and make sure everyone is alright.
Grathius
Grathius

Zombies Slain : 5102
Survivors Saved : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:11 pm

I like this idea. However, whenever a player reaches their max, they shouldn't go on a rampage and kill the others. Yes, that's realistic, but it's bad for gameplay when the 10 year old you're playing with goes insane and kills the other players.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Zombies Slain : 5044
Survivors Saved : 1

https://zomtec.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Grathius Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:12 pm

Admin wrote:I like this idea. However, whenever a player reaches their max, they shouldn't go on a rampage and kill the others. Yes, that's realistic, but it's bad for gameplay when the 10 year old you're playing with goes insane and kills the other players.

They should kill themselves, or just freak out, and not do well in combat.

Grathius
Grathius

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:25 pm

Grathius wrote:
Admin wrote:I like this idea. However, whenever a player reaches their max, they shouldn't go on a rampage and kill the others. Yes, that's realistic, but it's bad for gameplay when the 10 year old you're playing with goes insane and kills the other players.

Not do well in combat. That's what we should do instead of letting them kill themselves. That way the player still has some means of controlling them. We could make their accuracy go way down and make them fumble when trying to reload
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grathius Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:26 pm

Admin wrote:
Grathius wrote:

Not do well in combat. That's what we should do instead of letting them kill themselves. That way the player still has some means of controlling them. We could make their accuracy go way down and make them fumble when trying to reload

They could also twitch, and be slower to respond to commands. Yup!

Then The Singer comes in, and sings you a tune!
Grathius
Grathius

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:28 pm

Grathius wrote:
Admin wrote:
Grathius wrote:

I think this needs to be added into the game. It's a pretty bamf idea
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grathius Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:29 pm

Not many other games do the insanity thing. Call of Cthulu, but... that's about it.
Grathius
Grathius

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:29 pm

Grathius wrote:Not many other games do the insanity thing. Call of Cthulu, but... that's about it.
I've never heard of that game
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grathius Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:31 pm

Admin wrote:
Grathius wrote:Not many other games do the insanity thing. Call of Cthulu, but... that's about it.
I've never heard of that game

2K published it.
Grathius
Grathius

Back to top Go down

Post  Simas Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:33 pm

Admin wrote:
Grathius wrote:
Admin wrote:
Grathius wrote:

I think this needs to be added into the game. It's a pretty bamf idea

Thanks Very Happy
Simas
Simas

Back to top Go down

Post  Simas Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:34 pm

I actually developed this idea from a "Fear Meter" from one of those "Fighting Fantasy" books tongue

Last edited by Simas on Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Simas
Simas

Back to top Go down

Post  Simas Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:42 pm

You may not be able to see other players insanity level on multiplayer but there may be things that indicate that he's reaching insanity. Like ocasional small spasms or that trembling while reloading like someone said in the posts...

Last edited by Simas on Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Simas
Simas

Back to top Go down

Post  Grathius Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:45 pm

Oh! Oh!

Some characters should take longer to go insane.

Such as The Singer... he's always bubbly and funny, so why would he stop so soon!?
Grathius
Grathius

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:46 pm

Grathius wrote:Oh! Oh!

Such as The Singer... he's always bubbly and funny, so why would he stop so soon!?
People like that usually snap with no warning. That could be his thing, he could just randomly snap with no warning.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Grathius Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:49 pm

Admin wrote:
Grathius wrote:Oh! Oh!

People like that usually snap with no warning. That could be his thing, he could just randomly snap with no warning.

That's a good idea. He's reliable... or so you think!
Grathius
Grathius

Back to top Go down

Post  Invader Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:42 pm

Now, I think insanity and morale should go hand-in-hand. While very high on morale, insanity-raising things would chip less off of the player's sanity, but reduce morale. While gaining morale, insanity steadily decreases.

For suicide, I think it should only occur if the player's insanity meter is all the way up for six game hours, and then, only give the player a minute or so's warning to raise their morale, like the player's character might raise their pistol, and start mumbling about "ending this living hell" or "going to see *insert beloved relative*". They would also get an even bigger accuracy decrease and start to ignore some of the player's commands.
Invader
Invader

Zombies Slain : 5074

Back to top Go down

Post  Simas Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:52 pm

Invader wrote: Now, I think insanity and morale should go hand-in-hand. While very high on morale, insanity-raising things would chip less off of the player's sanity, but reduce morale. While gaining morale, insanity steadily decreases.

For suicide, I think it should only occur if the player's insanity meter is all the way up for six game hours, and then, only give the player a minute or so's warning to raise their morale, like the player's character might raise their pistol, and start mumbling about "ending this living hell" or "going to see *insert beloved relative*". They would also get an even bigger accuracy decrease and start to ignore some of the player's commands.

Yes! That is the perfect way to do it in my opinion!
Simas
Simas

Back to top Go down

Post  Invader Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Also, getting infected should instantly ruin your morale and insanity to the brink of suicide. You could probably trigger a suicide, too.
Invader
Invader

Back to top Go down

Post  Grathius Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:14 pm

Invader wrote: Also, getting infected should instantly ruin your morale and insanity to the brink of suicide. You could probably trigger a suicide, too.

You should be able to ignore the pain, and gain some bonuses, so you could go on a killing spree, though... even for a minute.

I would go on a killing spree, if infected.
Grathius
Grathius

Back to top Go down

Post  Invader Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:55 pm

Grathius wrote:
Invader wrote: Also, getting infected should instantly ruin your morale and insanity to the brink of suicide. You could probably trigger a suicide, too.

You should be able to ignore the pain, and gain some bonuses, so you could go on a killing spree, though... even for a minute.

I would go on a killing spree, if infected.

Well, that's why it's just the brink. The fact that you know you're gonna die will ruin morale, but I guess the insanity's change depends on the character.
Invader
Invader

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum